17 September 2008

Ok

So I recognize that this blog has veered off its original intended topic.

Why aren't I talking about Moldova? Where's my interesting stories of cultural integration?

Well at the moment, I don't really have any. My mind is filled with annoyance at the pushback I'm getting from my organization I'm working for, and a general sense of boredom and ennui.

So what you're reading is what I'm thinking about to keep me sane. (also keeping me sane? inserting pop culture referencing into everything I'm writing for work and Peace Corps and in my emails and seeing who gets them. Alas, not many get them. I'm obviously not cut out to be a Gilmore Girl writer)

And like I wouldn't be obsessing about the election anyway.

More than likely, when February rolls around you're going to hear about the Moldovan election.

I like politics. What can I say? And y'all should realize that I'm actually trying really hard to edit, and tone things down. If you were to get full-throttled political me.... I don't think my sister would ever return to this site.

However, I do recognize that there are some things that I could talk about that I haven't addressed, always pushing off for a later time, and I'll try to talk about some of these things.


But I'm going to be really honest folks, the main thing on my mind now is my upcoming vacations.

London.

Prague.

Egypt.


I'm going to London (with a dash of a side trip to Edinburgh, please) over Halloween and Guy Fawkes Day. Why am I doing this? It is not for either of these holidays, although it is surely a happy coincidence. No, I'm going to watch the American election in real time, an impossible thing to do here unless I watch it on a computer screen on CSPAN or something. All the cable we get here is military cable, and thus a daylate to ensure maximum censorship opportunities.

I will have access to Indian food for a whole, glorious week. And Top Shop.

Maybe I'll take a side trip to the Tower, and get goosebumps yet again in the place where Elizabeth was held as a Princess. She was the equivalent of a modern day graffiti artist, and carved her initials in the stone.

I'll go see Abraham Lincoln's statue in Parliament Sq, a copy of the one residing in Chicago's Lincoln Park, and the Charlie Chaplin Statue in Leicester Square.

Maybe next post I'll tell you about my plans for Prague and Egypt. But these are the things I'm living for at the moment. Obsessing over the election, and obsessing over my vacations. Because I have naught to obsess over, job-wise. Am I feeling slightly stupid because I'm here, spending my time re-watching episodes of the XFiles and Battlestar Galactica and the Office? Yes. Should I be exploring more of Chisinau? Probably. There's not all that much to see. The same pattern repeats. (over and over... and i do hear morning bells).

After this week, I'll have license to travel the country again. Maybe I'll go visit people in their villages. But then again, that means no internet for a whole weekend. Until the election is over, I don't know if I can handle that type of suspense.

On a more somber note - I know the market has gone all wonky - hope everyone is doing okay.

0 comments:

 


A Natural Anthem - Templates Novo Blogger 2008