01 September 2008

McCain Labors to find a position on Sex Education and Disease Prevention (Happy Labor Day)

In an August 1999 speech that McCain delivered to the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco, he said:

"I'd love to see a point where [Roe v. Wade] is irrelevant, and could be repealed because abortion is no longer necessary. But certainly in the short term, or even the long term, I would not support repeal of Roe v. Wade, which would then force x number of women to [undergo] illegal and dangerous operations."

In the 2006, McCain declared that he does not merely favor overturning Roe, but supports a constitutional amendment that would ban abortion in almost all circumstances. On a "Meet the Press" appearance, he claimed that he has "always been pro-life, unchanging and unwavering."




A year ago McCain was asked a series of questions that drew some... interesting responses.


Would he support taxpayer funding for contraception in Africa to prevent the spread of AIDS?

McCain initially replied that he preferred a program of abstinence education but would provide condoms in places where abstinence "was not being followed," that is, where sex is happening, which is everywhere. r on issues of reproductive rights and health.

Moments later, he attempted to amend his answer. "Let me think about it a little bit ... I don't know if I would use taxpayers' money ... I'm not informed enough on it. Let me find out ... I'm sure I have taken a position on it in the past ... I have to find out my position on it ... I am sure I am opposed to government funding. I am sure I support the president's policy on it."

A reporter followed up by inquiring whether McCain supports sex education that discusses contraception and preventing the spread of AIDS and other disease, or whether he backs President Bush's abstinence-only education program.

McCain replied, "I think I support the president's policy." After another long pause, he replied, "You've stumped me."


The puzzled journalist responded "I mean, I think you'd probably agree it (contraceptives) probably does help stop [AIDS]?"

The Senator replied: "Are we on the Straight Talk Express?"


Then: "I'm not informed enough on it. Let me find out. You know, I'm sure I've taken a position on it in the past. I have to find out what my position was. Brian, would you find out what my position is on contraception -- I'm sure I'm opposed to government spending on it, I'm sure I support the president's policies on it."



It has been noted that there is some irony in a man so very proud of his extremely scurrilous youth to so righteously and sanctimoniously demand that today's generation remain chaste and good. How quickly they forget the temptations of the flesh.



Or maybe not.

0 comments:

 


A Natural Anthem - Templates Novo Blogger 2008