10 September 2008

Guns

This maybe isn't the smartest thing to put in my blog.

I know my grandma will be a little freaked out about it.

A few weeks ago, I talked about how the greatest fear of Chicago kids was getting shot.

I thought maybe this would go further into explaining why:



View Larger Map

The above map details the shootings the occurred during the summer months in Chicago. The pink pins indicate a fatal shooting.

As you can see, this is not a west side problem, or a southside problem.... it is quite obviously a pretty devastating Chicago problem.

In the months of Summer 125 people were shot dead. That is twice the amount of soldiers that were killed in Iraq during the same time period. Actually, it's also about the same number of soldiers killed in Iraq and Afganhistan combined.

The youngest fatality was a 10 year old girl.

247 people were wounded.

Where's the famous lakefront liberal outrage over this?

In the entire city, there were only two districts that did not have a fatal shooting. One of them was the district I live in. (Go, district 20!)

But this is a matter of semantics. I live across the street from district 23, and across the park from a different district. The trees outside my apartment in the last year started to get carved up with Latin King symbols.

Supposedly, bad economic times always increase violence, and murders are up 18% this year.

Not exactly good advertisement for the Olympics.


0 comments:

 


A Natural Anthem - Templates Novo Blogger 2008