31 July 2008

Talking Plants (aka, Seymour Lives)

Recently, in one of my normal moments of non-thinking chattering, I espoused to someone that plants talked to each other. The look I got was incredulous, to say the least, and ended up with them mocking me and me being all "but it's true! I read it somewhere."

That statement is always my downfall. I've always "read it somewhere" and I always can't remember where, because I read like, 10,000 pieces of news a day. The fact that I had also had a bit to drink and had gone off on my rant about quantum theory did nothing to support people's belief in my statement that:

Plants Talk To Each Other.

I dropped the subject sullenly, knowing I couldn't win. And of course now, I have proof....

Plants Talk, Even Eavesdrop

According to Live Science, the parasitic dodder vine taps into the host's communication system by stealing its RNA molecules. This amazing plant also sniffs the air for signs of plant victims...

The sagebrush in the U.S. warns its brethren of attackers (i.e., insects), it will release odors into the air so that other sagebrushers know to kickstart their own defense mechanisms.

And some plants - well, they don't so much talk as be talked through... the mustard plant is used as a telephone by bugs.

No kidding.

I've read of other examples as well.

It's difficult being right so much, truly.

But the truly difficult part is not being able to remember who didn't believe me about the talking plants. Now I can't be all "neh neh neh neh neh neh"

0 comments:

 


A Natural Anthem - Templates Novo Blogger 2008