14 July 2008

really random

in an article about Obama, Abner Mikva (one of the coolest men to ever walk the planet) had something to say:

Chicago taught Obama a key lesson, Mikva noted. He was an outsider with an unusual name, but he was able to overcome those obstacles. "This is a big city, but it's a very open city," Mikva said. "People plant their flag in Chicago, and this is where they're from. You can be accepted quickly. Being here has given Barack a very large comfort zone."

Not to continue my excessive talk about a city I no longer live in, but that line just kind of struck me: "People plant their flag in Chicago, and this is where they're from."

It's interesting being here, not knowing what to say when people ask me where I'm from ... I was born in St Louis, yes, but my home is Chicago. I've hedged on this question, answered it indirectly... It's an odd thing. But a city that is *still* made up of immigrants welcomes those even from the next state over, and maybe if I just admit that I've planted my own personal Rian flag, I'll finally know what to say when I get asked that question next time.

0 comments:

 


A Natural Anthem - Templates Novo Blogger 2008