13 April 2008

Signs

The actual, current, for real time

So I'm sitting here, in the Peace Corps office, actually ON THE INTERNET. It's a fantastic feeling.

It's been over three weeks since I've read my emails. You may understand my pain, you may comprehend what I'm going through, but do you Recognize?

I'm supposed to be figuring out who I'm supposed to be living with, but I'm fairly sure I've done that already. I've seen the signs, and it's opened up my mind.

Usually, I don't believe in signs. But this is too good to be true.

I'm taking to the first family to meet them, and guess what trolleybus they live off of? The 22. That's right folks, the 22, the same number of bus that I have lived off of for, oh, seven years in my beloved Chicago? Hell, all I did was move up and down Clark Street. The family has had 4 volunteers before - it's a grandma, a mom and a 10 year old daughter who has had a volunteer in her house for pretty much her entire life. And, get this my friends, she's a Disney Princess girl. The second Sign. Because my sister's entire family is obsessed with Disney in the biggest of ways. He favorite princess is Jasmine, by the way.

They speak slowly, because they know I'm learning, they will let me use the internet, have visitors, and they're about five minutes from my work and ten minutes from everything else. Le Sigh. Right next to a 24 hour store, a Greek restaurant, a pizza bar. I'm in heaven. Delighted.

Even if it does look, oh so very slightly, like Cabrini.

Looks can be very deceiving here, oh yes they can. Everything is safe as can be, Peace Corps certified. But buildings are never what they seem on the outside.

Oh, guess what? I live right by this AMAZING outdoor botanical garden.

Can you tell I'm excited? Donna, the little girl, is the head of her class. And she likes the Wayan Brothers. We will get along just fine.

One thing: trolleybuses cost .10 cents per ride, and good god can they get crowded. I mean like, rush hour crowded all the time.

PT is really good where I live too, runs really late. And cabs are prolific - I can get anywhere in the city for a few dollars.

Love it.

I'm pretty happy to be a first city kind of girl. I think things are going to work out just fine.

1 comments:

Maggie said...

That's exactly the news I was hoping for. Ahhhhhh. Congrats. You're the shiznit.

 


A Natural Anthem - Templates Novo Blogger 2008