13 April 2008

Notas pe Zuia de Nastere (Notes on a Birthday)

2 April 2008 - 5 April 2008
Notes on a Birthday
(notas pe ziua de nastere)

I've been sick for the past, oh, seven days really?
It was a slow burn.

I'm sure walking home, in the rain (a 40 minute walk) when the temp had dropped a good 20 degrees didn't help me get over anything.

I really need to buy an umbrella. And perhaps reconcile myself to wearing a heavy coat thru the month of april.... just in case.

Crappy way to spend your birthday, sleeping in bed with the flu.

Although, I did get to watch half a season of House, the movie Pride and Prejudice and the BBC version of P&P (fast-forwarded to the good parts, obviously), so maybe all in all, it wasn't all that bad. I got to skip school. And contemplate a Jane Austen drinking game.

Plus, my host family bought me a lovely towel and lancome perfume. Perfume is what you get girls for their birthday, so it's appropriate.

I've been thinking about language lately; the funny aspects of it, how i'm pretty good at writing it, but can't understand a damn thing when people talk to me.

I've always had trouble hearing, so maybe this shouldn't be a surprise, but it's still pretty sucky.
But language can be pretty funny. I've already detailed the whole "crap" thing. But there's some other funny similarities in sounds that the audience at home might find amusing. De Example:

Eu Fac
pronounced "yo f*ck"
it actually means "I do" or "I make"

Super giggle worthy. And then there's:
betch
pronounced, obviously, "b*tch"

it means cellar. not so exciting there.

I think I've mentioned
hynie
it means clothes

and there is an
aşpronounced ass, but it comes with dori.

which means I wish.

And thus ends the similarities that I have found, thus far. Except it doesn't, it's just all the one's I can remember at the moment.

On my birthday I received about a million and a half text messages from those of you who took advantage of orange.md, and I just want to thank you. It made my sad day a whole lot better, and I so didn't mind getting woke up every few minutes for a new one. It made me miss all of you so much. I LOVE getting those messages, and it's totally free for me to get them so please, feel free to send me any old thing.

(As, per instance, wth happened in Pennsylvania and Oregon? Both places were on the news here, but I couldn't understand what was being said, but it looked pretty bad. Kind of like when Atlanta had a freaking tornado in the middle of the city, and it took me a week to find out.)

In about four weeks, I'm going to be shipped off to my actual site (announcement date: 8 April 2008) and if anybody is interested i'm seriously lacking in books and/or burned movies/tv shows. I have now read all the books I've brought with me (some twice - yes, I suck) and watched the Firefly series 2 times (hey, that's only 28 episodes, total, ok, because the show was cancelled after 14 episodes?).


Address on the side of the blog ------------------------>


I'll read whatever you send me. Christ, I'm seriously considering War and Peace because I heard it mentions Chisanau. And I'd probably tear through it in like, a minute and a half.
Today is the last day of that three day stretch, and at the moment, I'm looking at the final hour of the 5th. Happy Birthday Maggie.

Today was one of those good days. My fellow P-town folk took me out to dinner. To go to dinner, we had to hike to the restaurant outside of town. Which was, like, seriously out of town. About a kilometer out of town and thus, about a kilometer and a half away from my house (so about a mile maybe?). This was a "tres expensive" restaurant by Moldovan terms. Four bottles of wine and couple courses later, we all ended up pinching in about $25. Or, you know, I would have pitched in, had they let me. They were very adament about not letting me pay because it was my birthday. Four days ago. It was so sweet.

Curt ending here.

0 comments:

 


A Natural Anthem - Templates Novo Blogger 2008