14 June 2008

Eurovision (weeks ago at this point)

I can't sleep.

It is like, way past my bedtime, but I really can't sleep, and there's really no reason except for my brain is going like a mile a minute. And rather than continue to compose these make believe blogs in my head, I figured I could go ahead and try typing a little.

Maybe my sounds of my typing, the visuals of my words will put me to sleep.

So, what's happening? How's it going? Has anyone else been keeping up with the fantastic-ness that is Eurovision?

For those of you who don't know, Eurovision is the most amazing and wonderful thing.... it's like American Idol, only eery European Country submits their own act and the entire continent (+ some extra) vote for the winner.

You'd think it just be a contest to see which country could put in the most votes, but no... see, it's not possible, if I understood this correctly (which, you know, it's possible that I didn't) to vote for your own country. You can only vote for others. And the voting is only for 15 minutes.

And the submissions, oh my god. From the Scandanavian heavy metal scariness, to the post-modern folkness of Bosnia-Herz, the heavy techno of Bulgaria....

it's all just so amazing. And you just NEVER KNOW what a country is going to do. For example, Russia entered a singer, whose background support was a gold medalist ice skater who skated around on a micro-rink and then, at the end, both the ice skater and the singer ripped their shirts off.

Estonia entered four old men doing some crazy song and dance.

Moldova, my country, had some middle-aged woman singing with a teddy bear.

But by far my favorite, and the most absurd, was Ireland. You see, Ireland didn't enter any *actual people* this year.... they entered Dustin the puppet DJ Turkey. And he was hilarious. HILARIOUS.

God I love the Irish.

Alas, the rest of Europe did not agree with me. Dustin the turkey is not going to the finals tomorrow. I was crushed.

Oddly enough, it's possible for non-citizens to perform for other countries - a former Miss American contestant, that has had Waaaaaaay tooooooo much plastic surgery, was Poland's entry. Alas, she did make it to the finals.

Bosnia-Herzogovinia






Ireland's Turkey





Here are my two serious favorites, Norway and Croatia








Here is the Russian winner, complete with ice skating...



0 comments:

 


A Natural Anthem - Templates Novo Blogger 2008