21 October 2008

I haven't really written a lot lately because, well, I don't really feel like right now is time for a lot of frivolous stuff. I'm naturally worried about people at home in the states, and members of my family.

I also am trying really hard to keep my mouth shut about politics out of deference to the people I love.

But something is really grating on me.

The past few days a bunch of articles have come out about the Millennial Generation, and they're not very flattering.

"Sources describe millennials as self-centered, needy and ill-equipped to handle failure and disappointment. And if handling those personalities weren't headache-inducing enough, [this article suggests], companies must also deal with the parents that instilled those attitudes with incessant coddling."

We have an entitlement problem. We expect too much too soon. But hey, it's really our parent's fault - they started it. They coddled us, told us we were awesome from birth.

I've addressed this before.

And, apparently, some parents are flat out crazy: "[some] will badger employers as easily as teachers. One General Electric Co. recruiting manager [said] that parents have called him trying to negotiate fatter paychecks for their children. A Conference Board official told of a worker who at first refused to travel to a business meeting because the worker's mother had deemed the trip unnecessary."



The fact that we refuse to give up our lives in "loyalty" to the cause of a corporation who we know will absolutely have no loyalty to us is considered abhorrent...

oh, and the fact that we consider pantyhose anachronistic...

and it's considered immature that we want flex hours even though we know that we work better from 10 - 7...

these are big big problems for corporations and recruiters.

Have they ever read about the productivity of Google? Does the fact that they have shares going for like, $500 give them one inkling of a clue?


You know what, I was told I was special and smart, and when I screwed up on something, I was told I could do better or I was yelled at to do better. But my parents sure as hell never called my work to try to negotiate a deal for me.

And you know what? They can bitch about our self-confidence, but it's because of this confidence that I've been so successful. All things considered, I've produced and done some pretty fantastic things, and I'm not embarrassed to say that, nor do I think I'm being overly congratulatory to myself. Google me.

Really, do they really want to bitch about a generation of kids that were "groomed" to rise the ladder when a full 1/3rd of our country's youth is no longer graduating high school? Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. They should be kissing our needy asses, and recognize that what we're trying to do is create healthier, holistic lifestyles. This is not a crime, and is indeed something that should be celebrated. The fact is if they work with us, they'll get the loyalty that they want.

I also think it's pretty rich that the generation that raised us, the Boomer Generation, is calling us the generation with too large a sense of entitlement when a) they're our bosses and, to repeat, they raised us and b) are they not considered to be the most entitled generation to have *ever* occupied this country? Do we need to review the holy shitstorm of economic crisis we're in now? The one that they're leaving us, the Millennials, to deal with?


I'm extraordinarily grateful that I have a family that I know I can fall back on. I'm not going to lie that I know this is there, and that some of my decisions have been made with this knowledge in the back of my mind. But this knowledge made me exquisitely conscience of all the people that don't have this luxury, which is an unacceptable amount of Americans. Maybe if some of the corporations complaining paid one red cent of taxes we could have some modicum of an education system in this country, and they could then have a broader pool of people to chose from to hire. Greed sure bites you in the ass, don't it?

0 comments:

 


A Natural Anthem - Templates Novo Blogger 2008